Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Response to DC Shorts Article

I was really pleased to have read the article online about what the judges look for in the DC Shorts film festival. I think helpful information not only for short films but also for festivals in general. It seemed that the basic idea the author wanted to pump into the readers heads was to stick to the story. The story is the most important aspct of the film, more than lighting, camerawork, editing, etc. The story must be clear and concise and believable. Often times people spend too much time with other things and dont keep it simple, which according to this author, is key. KISS (keep it simple stupid) is one thing directors and film makers should remember during the course of making a film. When things begin to get too complicated not only does the film begin to lose focus, but it also loses the audiences attention. Audiences want to "get to the point" and dont want to be held in suspense for too long. I was interested to know that a feature legnth script should introduce the first climax on the twelvth page, and also that long movies which have been (professionally) edited to decrease legnth are usually better. It was also helpful to learn that presensation is key and also one of the things that judges look for. Rather than sending dvds in neon jewel cases, take the time to upgrade a bit in your packaging. Not only will it improve the look of the quality youre trying to achive, but it also shows that you are serious about your work. Now that I've read this I realize not only how tough it is to get accepted but how driven and focused you must be to be taken seriously. Hopefully I will be able to experience this first hand soon!

*ChRiStY

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you found the article helpful. Please do not let it discourage you -- but instead, let the knowledge help guide your skills to create a more cohesive, stronger film. If we can be of any assiatance to you -- more knowledge, resources, etc -- please do not hesitate to contact us at info@dcshorts.com

Anonymous said...

Hello just ωаnted to giνе you а quick heads up.
Τhe wordѕ in your contеnt seem to bе running off the screеn in Ѕafari.
I'm not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with web browser compatibility but I thought I'd post to let you know.
Τhe stylе anԁ dеѕіgn lοok greаt thοugh!

Hope you gеt thе problem reѕolved soon.
Kuԁos

my ωeblоg how to use tens units

Anonymous said...

I ϳust couldn't depart your website prior to suggesting that I actually loved the standard information an individual supply for your guests? Is gonna be back steadily to check up on new posts

Here is my weblog - irving taxi service